What is the largest contributor to Singapore’s total government revenue? Which ministry has the second highest expenditure?
2. Think you know the answers to these questions? We welcome you to participate in the Budget Quiz 2016, which will be launched on 1 March by the Ministry of Finance on the Budget 2016 website (www.singaporebudget.gov.sg) and on the Budget 2016 mobile app, which is available for download on the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store.
3. The Budget Quiz aims to increase public awareness and understanding of the annual budget process and some of the measures announced at previous Budgets.
4. The Budget Quiz will run for two weeks, from 1 March to 14 March 16, ahead of this year’s Budget Statement, which will be delivered on 24 March 2016 by Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat. Participants who complete the Quiz and who register their details will be eligible for a final draw, where 50 winners will each receive $50 gift voucher. There is no limit to the number of attempts for the Quiz, but each participant will only be eligible for one chance at the draw.
5. MOF is actively reaching out to local schools to encourage student participation in the Budget Quiz. Secondary schools, Junior Colleges/Centralised Institutes and Institute of Technical Education/Polytechnic with the highest number of students participating in the Quiz will be awarded trophies. Thirty-Five students who complete and register for the Quiz will also win $50 gift voucher each.
6. Speaking on his experience from participating in Budget Quiz 2015, Mr Dilip Balakrishnan, from National Junior College, commented, “Before attempting the MOF Budget quiz, I was not aware of how the Budget was related to my learning of economics. However, this quiz opened my eyes to the significance of the Budget in Singapore.” He added, “Through this quiz, I gained insights on how the government used the Budget to ensure the sustained development of Singapore. This was useful in helping me draw connections between what I learnt in economics and the national Budget.”
Last updated on 29 Feb 2016